Production and Operations Administration Department
The Production and Operations Administration Department (POI) is responsible for the Management of Operations and Sustainability research area, which encompasses the following concerns and fields of interest:
- Strategies for Value Creation and Competitiveness: Develops knowledge about strategies for creating value in products and processes to improve companies’ competitiveness in the context of globalization. Main content: Value Creation and Strategic Positioning (Globalization, Strategic Alliances, Strategies for Value Creation and International Class); National Competitiveness (Deregulation, Privatization, Reregulation and National Competitiveness Factors); Investment Projects (Economic and Strategic Assessment of Projects, Project Implementation).
- Management of Operations, Technology and Logistics: Identifies and studies management processes for productive activities, such as technology management, administration of production of goods and services, supply chain management, and the distribution and management of all these aspects.
- Subdivisions: Technology Management (Technology Production and Transfer, New Manufacturing and Service Technologies, Return on Investment in Technology); Supply Chain (Supply Chain Management, Integrated Logistics, Negotiations and Purchasing, Management of Commercial Stocks); Production Management (Planning, Scheduling and Control of Industrial and Service Operations, Demand Management, Capacity Management); Integrated Management of Operations, Technology and Logistics (integration of approaches such as MRP/DRP, JIT, TOC, FCS and CIM, and integrated business management systems like MRP II and ERP).
- Sustainability Management: Develops knowledge on the relationship between organizations’ competitiveness and social and environmental aspects related to their projects, services and relationships with the supply chain and stakeholders.
- Main content: Environmental Management (Management of Environmental Programs); Business Strategy for Sustainable Development (Sustainable Business Strategy, Sustainability as a Competitive Advantage at Organizations, Innovation for Sustainability, and Sustainability in Supply Chains).
Journal of Operations and Supply Chain Management
As part of POI’s commitment to contribute to the development of the production and operation area in Brazil, in 2008 we launched the Journal of Operations and Supply Chain Management (JOSCM). This world-class journal compiles articles of high methodological rigor and practical relevance to encourage the advancement of theoretical and practical knowledge in production and operations. The content is available at fgv.br/joscm.
International Production, Logistics and Operations Management Symposium
This is a forum for debate and networking between professors, researchers, students, business people and professionals in the area of production and operations management in Brazil. Its main objectives include the sharing of academic information, the presentation of recent research and discoveries in the areas of production and operations, and strengthening of relationships between academics and professionals in the sectors involved.